Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What to do with Jay Cutler?


I was going to write about March Madness but I feel like the Internet is saturated with stories about underrated teams and overrated teams and if I here the term Bracket Buster one more time tonight I might lose it.

Instead I feel like there is a pressing matter in the NFL that is not getting the attention that it deserves.  Of course I speak of the Jay Cutler drama that is currently ongoing in Denver.

It all started a few weeks back when it was leaked to the media that the Denver Broncos and new head coach Josh McDaniels were actively trying to acquire Matt Cassel and trade Jay Cutler. Cutler took this personally and had this to say when he learned what happened: 

“I’m upset,” Cutler said. “I mean I’m really shocked at this point. I could see why they want [Matt] Cassel. I don’t know if they think I can’t run the system or I don’t have the skills for it. I just don’t get it. Or if they don’t think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don’t know what it is. I’ve heard I’m still on the trading block.”

In response McDaneils said, "We don’t want to trade Jay. We never did. He’s our quarterback. We’re excited about this season. And excited about what we’re doing here in free agency to improve our team.”

What else is the guy supposed to say though?  

Now after meeting with McDaneils Cutler has demanded that he be traded from the Broncos.  This news broke after it was confirmed that Cutler did not show up to the first team meeting of the off season.  Cutler told ESPN he would attend every mandatory mini camp and training camp but would skip the off season training program, which won't subject him to fines.

What needs to be decided now is where will Cutler end up.  There are several teams around the league who would love to have him including the Bears, Vikings, Jets, Buccaneers, and the Lions.  It will be up to Denver where Cutler ends up but here is my take on each of the previously mentioned options.

Bears

Desperately need a quarterback as they cannot afford to go another season with Kyle Orton as their starter.  The Bears are not an AFC team so that wouldn't be a problem.  Unfortunately they have the 18th pick in the 1st round which isn't solid enough trade bait.  By going after Cutler it would show fans that the team is committed to winning as right now it looks like the team is committed to mediocrity.

Vikings

Much like the Bears the Vikings need a starter badly.  They released Gus Ferotte and brought in Sage Rossenfels but that was only a stop gap messure.  Tavaris Jackson is still on the team but he sucks so that's not a viable option.  Adding a quarterback like Cutler would instantly make the Vikings one of the favorites to win the NFC as that is the only missing piece to the puzzle.

Jets

The Jets really need a quarterback as going into the season they have Kellen Clemens, Eric Ainge, and Brett Ratliff in the depth chart.  I've heard rumors that the Jets really like Ratliff but I hope to god he is not the opening day starter of my beloved NY Jets.

The Owner has shown that he are willing to spend money to bring guys in (Bart Scott, Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins) so hopefully he is willing to trade assets as well.  Bring in Cutler and there is no way the Jets miss the playoffs.

Also Cutler's agent represented Brett Favre as well so there is a link there that could prove to be beneficial.

Buccaneers

Once Jon Gruden was out the door, so went the policy of signing or trading for any and every quarterback the front office laid their eyes on. That goes for Plummer, Simms, Jeff Garcia, and current possible starter Brian Griese.

While Luke McCown was re-signed and is an intriguing talent, it's not out of line to suggest the team isn't completely invested in their current options at the position.

They've clearly been parting ways with older players, and could look to make a gutsy move that could put them right back near the top. 

Lions

Most obvious location as the Lions need a quarterback like Brittany Spears needs panties.  The Lions have the number 1 overall pick in the draft as trade bait and money to spend.

This would also be a way of exacting revenge if you are the Broncos.  Your quarterback complains so you trade him to the worst team in the league and let him die slowly as the sinkhole that is Detroit swallows him slowly.


Random Youtube Video


No comments: