Monday, February 9, 2009

Sports Illustrated Irelevant

Usually I don't double post but I couldn't help it with this one.  I was one SI.com reading about A-rod and checking up on Michigan State when I noticed on the side that there was a new photo album up in which celebrities gave their insight as to who they thought was going to win the Daytona 500.  Now SI does this with lots of events but for some reason Nascar is the one where they get the worst celebrities.  Out of the crop of 41 celebs these were some of my favorite.

Kristanna Loken (actress from Terminator 3) - "I think Dale Earnhardt Jr. takes it this year. He's got the right bloodline, plus he's a looker." 

Steve Harwell (lead singer of Smashmouth) - "Tony Stewart has something to prove, not only to himself as an owner/driver, but also to his fans and Joe Gibbs Racing for not showing him the respect he deserves for not only being the senior driver on that team but also as a past champion. And, with Ryan Newman, last year's Daytona 500 winner, pushing his boss to the front on the final lap, it's going to be something to see!''

Janet Evanovich (author) - "I think Mark Martin is going to win the 500. I heard a rumor he's driving naked and no one wants to get too close."

Patricia Manterola (Latin singer) - "Many great Latin drivers are involved in NASCAR. I definitely think Juan Pablo Montoya will be the winner!"

Jared Fogel (Subway Guy) - "I predict Carl Edwards will win. I'm really excited to have Carl on board as the Subway driver this year, and I believe his inaugural season will start with a win at Daytona."

There are many more predictions just like these and I didn't name half of the D and C list scrubs that SI trotted out as celebrities.  Omissions from the list include, Kevin Sorbo, Tobin Bell, Khloe Kardashin, and John Ondrasik.  It also needs to be pointed out that 75% of the people that SI asked were athletes.  How sad is it that one of the biggest names in sports journalism can't get some real celebs to throw out their picks.

To see the rest of the people in the list and to see their picks go to www.noonecaresaboutnascar.com

No comments: