Friday, April 3, 2009

Sheer Stupidity

So today after I got back from the gym (yea I'm jacked so what?) I was walking by my roommates room and heard SportsCenter on his TV and had to stop and listen for a minute as they were talking about Jay Cutler.  I got pretty excited as my NY Jets were supposed to be in the running for Cutler but my dreams were quickly dashed as I found out that he had been traded to the Chicago Bears.

Sidenote: This compounded my crappy day as I discovered Baya from the Real World Brooklyn was no longer single as well which is a damn shame cause she is wicked hot.

The deal itself was a 1st round pick in 2009 (18th overall) and 1st round pick in 2010 along with a 3rd round pick (84th over in 2009) and Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and a 2009 5th round pick (140th overall).

Now some people might look at this deal and say the Bears gave up way too much but when I look at it I see an opportunity wasted for the NY Jets.

The Jets are going into the 2009 NFL season with Brett Ratliff as their starting quarterback.  Who the fuck is Brett Ratliff?  He went to the University of Utah but has never played a down in the NFL and this is the man we are going into the season with as our team leader.

I wish the Jets had made this trade and when you look at the deal it makes sense for the Jets. First off we desperately need a quarterback and when an elite quarterback says he wants a trade from his team and your starter is Brett Ratliff you do what it takes to get that elite QB.

Secondly in every mock draft I have seen every expert has the Jets selecting a Wide Receiver in the first round to fill the void left by Laveranues Coles' departure.  While I admit this is a need we could still get a quality receiver in the 2nd round as only 3 or 4 teams need a receiver in the 1st round.  Also with Cutler behind center the Jets would make the playoffs and thus would have a crappy draft pick in 2010 anyways so I don't see the harm in trading that.

The Jets really missed the boat on this one as they could have had Cutler for what I feel is a less than market value package.  A  17th overall pick and a more than likely 22nd overall pick for a potential franchise quarterback.  That is a deal you need to make.

Cutler would have helped this team significantly and with all the new additions to the defense, a good head coach, and Thomas Jones starting to play well Cutler would have lead the J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS! back to glory.

Way to drop the ball NY.  You better not draft a fullback in the 1st round again or it's over!


Random Youtube Video (Long but Worth It)


2 comments:

BC-Leafs said...

Brett Ratliff? Isn't he Harry Potter? You don't want Harry Potter as your QB? You're nuts.

James Choleras said...

that's Daniel Ratcliffe or however it is spelt and i would prefer harry potter throwing bombs then some scrub from Utah