Thursday, July 31, 2008

Favorite Team Part 4

Continuing in this ongoing series of my Favorite Teams we will look at my favorite NBA team. My favorite NBA team is my only favorite team that is from Toronto and it is the Toronto Raptors.

One of the main reasons that I love the Raptors is because I have been alive from the very beginning of the franchise. Not only was I alive but I was also old enough to understand everything that was going on. I was also 8 years old and thought that the name Raptors was the greatest thing ever.

I've seen the Raptors go from struggling expansion franchise to serious playoff contender in 10 years. I remember when the Raptors had Damon Stoudamire aka Might Mouse and when they had Dell Curry who could jack up a 3 ball from anywhere on the court.

They weren't always the best teams but at least they were fun to watch. This pattern of exciting teams only got better when the Raptors got Vince Carter in the 1999 draft and he started to put the team on the map. As much as I hated Vince Carter when he left and during the last few years of his career in Toronto I have to give him credit because without him the Raptors wouldn't be what they are now.

Finally the reason I love the Raptors is because of the atmosphere that they create at the ACC. Living in Toronto I mostly go to Jays and Leafs game and during the course of those games excitement is at a minimum. Most fans don't cheer or care until their team scores. Especially at the Blue Jays games people just sit there and clap politely for a strike out or a hit. At Raptors games people are going crazy the whole game and the building goes crazy numerous times a game.

I think the Raptors are the perfect team for Toronto because of the make up of the team and the make up of the city. The team has a very strong international presence with players like Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani and I think that helps people in the city connect with the team a little more.

Moving forward I think that the Raptors are going to be a serious contender for years to come, especially with the pick up of Jermaine O'Neal. They will continue to wins games and I will continue to watch and follow.

Runner Up: The Lakers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!