Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Favorite Team Part 3

In today's installment of the Favorite Team series I will be discussing my favorite NHL team, the Vancouver Canucks.

My love of the Canucks stems from one thing and one thing only...NHL 94. This is probably the greatest video game ever, at least the best sports video game, and the first time I played I chose the Vancouver Canucks. How could you not? They had Pavel Bure, Cliff Ronning, Trevor Linden, Geoff Courtnall, Jyrki Lumme, and of course the beast Kirk McLean between the pipes.

After the game came out I started to really follow hockey and to my surprise discovered that the Canucks were actually a great team and had the most exciting player in hockey on their team, Pavel Bure. The Russian Rocket led his team all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1994 where they were eventually defeated by that bum Mark Messier and the New York Rangers.

Being a Canucks fan has been very rewarding over the past 15 years as they more often than not have a team that competes and plays exciting hockey. For a few years they had the West Coast Express with Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrison, and Todd Bertuzzi and the Canucks dominated.

However the best thing about being a Canucks fan is knowing that I don't have to cheer for the Leafs. If you have noticed so far throughout this series my favorite teams are usually never from my home city. I find it odd that people feel the need to cheer for a team just because they live somewhat close to that city. I'm not even from Toronto. I am from Pickering and feel no allegiance to the Leafs what so ever. A bit of a rant I know but it is something that boggles my mind on a frequent basis.

Another great part of being a Canucks fan is getting to hate the Calgary Flames. The Flames are the most annoying team in hockey and boast some of the biggest tools on their roster. Miikka Kiprusoff is such a flukeshow it is unreal and their wannabe tough guy captain Jarome Iginla should pack it in and go home. Nothing better than a Cabucks-Flames game and seeing the Canucks wail on them.

Runner Up: Whoever is playing the Calgary Flames

2 comments:

Will said...

The Canucks are the only Canadian team shittier than the Leafs.

Now the Calgary Flames on the other hand. There's a team you can set your watch to. Fast, tough, reliable, gritty as shit.

Jerome Iginla is a monster, and a tried and tested leader.

As for the Kippur, not another goalie in the NHL id rather have between the pipes if I had my choice.

I'm rather disheartened by the departure of Alex Tanguay this year, as he was a driving force on the team, a solid play maker who knows how to produce. He will be missed.

Even still, big tings lay in store for the Calgary Flames.. big tings.

LeafsPWN said...

William Mazgay is correct, in that the Canucks are shittier than the Leafs. You gotta go with the hometown team, which is the boys in the blue and white. I may not be from downtown Toronto, but i was born a whole 5 minutes away. I suppose The Sports Informer will not be cheering for Canada at the upcoming olympics. He will be cheering for Kenya or some African country which has the earliest recorded history.