Monday, July 28, 2008

Favorite Team Part 1

This week what I am going to be doing is having a 6 part series that will last from today until Saturday highlighting my favorite team in each league and why they are my favorite team. I encourage everyone to post comments that explain what your favorite team in each league is.

Monday - MLB
Tuesday - NFL
Wednesday - NHL
Thursday - NBA
Friday - Soccer

We are starting off the series with MLB. I decided to start with MLB because it is slowly becoming my favorite league. Normally I am an NFL guy but since its the summer and the only thing on is baseball it is starting to grow on me. I also chose baseball because my favorite team in all of sports plays in the MLB and that team is the: Boston RedSox

The Boston RedSox are my favorite team in not just baseball but all of sports. My love for the RedSox stems from a personality trait of mine that is a common theme amongst all my favorite teams, my love of history. At school I am a history major so when picking a sports team I try and choose a team with an interesting history and no team has more of a colored history than the RedSox. But it is not just the history that gets me but also the way the team is managed and the faithfulness of the fans.

From the Curse of the Bambino when they traded Babe Ruth to the Greatness that was Tedd Williams and finally the tragedy of Bill Buckner's costly error RedSox fans know what pure joy and true heartbreak feels like. Every year until 2004 fans would watch as the RedSox would always get so close only to fall short and leave their fans wondering how it all fell apart.

Not only does the team have a lot going for it historically but being a RedSox is almost like being part of a religion. The team means so much to so many people and can best be portrayed in this article by Tom Verducci: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137633/index.htm.

Besides just the history of the team however the RedSox also have one of the oldest stadiums in all of sports in Fenway Park where RedSox teams have been playing since 1912. Last year I went on a private tour of the stadium and it was one of the greatest things I have ever seen. The Green Monster looks so intimidating and the seats are so close to the players that you can understand why teams are intimidated to play there.

What I love most about the RedSox however are the players. People hate on Manny Ramirez but I love him. There isnt a better person in baseball to watch stare down one of his own home runs and for all the bad press he gets people tend to forget he is one of the best right handed hitters of all time. Big Papi is one of the best clutch hitters of all team and is a real class act. But the best thing about the RedSox is that they develop most of their own talent from within their system or make very smart trades for under rated players and make them superstars (David Ortiz was a bum with the Twins and now is an All-Star). Players like Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester, and Johnathan Papelbon have all come up through the system and are now impact players. The RedSox rarely ever go out and just by the big free agent. They have developed from within and have also added through trades picking up Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett.

For all of the reasons listed above the RedSox are my favorite team in MLB.

Runner Ups: Toronto Blue Jays and Oakland A's

No comments: