Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Favorite Team Part 2

Today I will be continuing my "Favorite Team" series by moving onto a new league, the NFL. Yesterday was MLB and I described why the Boston RedSex are my favorite team and have been for as long as I can remember. Once again feel free to comment and post on who your favorite team is in the sport of the day.

When I first started watching football I was a Jacksonville Jaguars fan. I was I think 8 years old and I thought that Jaguars were the coolest animals around and that any team named after them had to be great. Luckily for me I was right as the Jaguars made it to the playoffs 4 out of their first 5 years and even made it to the AFC Championship in their second year as a franchise in 1996. Then Mark Brunell left and so did my love of the Jaguars. I was then forced to find a new team and luckily for me the greatest team in the NFL was waiting for me to become a fan, the New York Jets.

One day I was watching ESPN and saw a documentary on the Jets and their Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath. I saw how Namath was a standout not only for his play but also for his attire on the field. Upon watching the documentary I started to watch the Jets more closely and saw that they played a style of football that was exactly the kind of football I enjoyed, smash mouth offense and aggressive defense.

They also had players on their team you couldn't help but like. Players such as Curtis "My Favorite" Martin, Wayne Chrebet, and Keyshawn Johnson. Unfortunately they had an awful quarterback in Vinny Testaverde who made it somewhat difficult to like the team but I persevered. Today the Jets still have a big play receiver, Laveranues Coles, a terrible quarterback, Chad Pennington, but at least they have one of the best coaches in football, Eric Mangini, running the team and a great defense that keeps them in games.

The Jets also hold a special place in my heart because they sometimes like to beat the Patriots and wipe that smug smile off the face of Bill "I think I'm God's Gift to Football but Really I'm a Cheater" Belicheck.

The Jets are a team that is currently on the rise and even though they lost Probowl linebacker Johnathan Vilma this year to the Saints they still should make the playoffs. That is of course all hinging on the belief that Chad Pennington will not be the quarterback.

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Runner Up: Jacksonville Jaguars

2 comments:

Will said...

I love the San Diego Chargers.

Why?

Because they have the greatest theme song in sports.

SAN DIEGO... SUPER CHARGERS!!

LeafsPWN said...

Cleveland Browns mang. They were my grandpa's team and now they are mine. Plus they are sooo good, they don't even need a looogooo. And it was so funny when chad johnson jumped up into the dog pound last year and got cups of beer poured on him. Dumb.