Thursday, September 17, 2009

Brilliant Idea


Pepsi has recently started a contest where they ask contestants to create their own Team Canada Hockey Cheer. The prize for creating the winning cheer is tickets to the World Junior Tournament in Saskatchewan and also tickets to the World Hockey Championships in Germany. This is an amazing prize but I think it fails in comparison to the greater prize which is creating a cheer that can be used by Canadians everywhere to cheer for Canada.

I hope the person who wins doesn't use the word hockey in their cheer so the cheer can also be used for other sports. I think it would be really cool to have a national cheer that Canadians can use when watching any sporting event anywhere in the world.

It would be like how Australia has 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi! Oi! Oi!' They use that cheer for everything and it is internationally known. If someone could create a cheer like that for Canada I think it would be sweet.

The reason I feel this is such a great idea is because it would help Canadian identity and pride. I recently returned from a trip to Europe and I found that Europeans are much more passionate about their sports and about their national pride.

For example when I was in England they defeated Australia in a cricket match known as the Ashes. When England won it was on the cover of every major newspaper and there were people in the streets drinking and signing 'God Save the Queen.'

I found that to be amazing. If Canada had beaten the USA in Hockey at the World Championships there would be nothing more than a few people out honking their horns and getting drunk in bars. That's what we do in Canada when we are happy, we honk horns.

Canadians as a whole need to step up and really back their teams with some serious passion and I think this cheer could actually help that a lot.

This is a great idea by Pepsi and I hope people really try hard to come up with a bad ass cheer. If you are interested in entering the contest then go to this link: http://pepsi.ca/jointhecheer/Default.aspx?bhcp=1


Random YouTube Video

No comments: