Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Old Guard


I started this blog over a year ago and did so because I was bored at work. I originally just wrote random thoughts mixed with some cursing and bad jokes. I quickly found out that I preferred a more serious approach to writing and started making my posts longer and filled with a bit more research. Now I won't sit here and pretend that I spend hours researching everything I write but I like to think that my writing doesn't come off as ramblings or incoherent crap.

Since starting this blog I have discovered that I have a strong interest in writing and took a few English courses at school and have spent more time reading in the hopes of becoming a better writer.

I have now made it my goal to acquire a job in the journalism world as a sports writer. The problem was I didn't know where to start. Then I was given an answer.

In an a speaking engagement at Google head offices author Michael Lewis told the story of how he broke into the world of journalism. He said that he would write a story and then mail that story to magazine and newspaper editors across the country. Eventually he got a response to one of his letters and was given his first job. I figured if it worked for Michael Lewis then maybe it could work for me.

So I wrote a blog post, making sure to spend extra time editing and researching and emailed it to over 200 sports writers in North America. I awoke the next morning anxious to see the response from the people I would one day like to be my peers. I was hit with a rude awakening.

Myth: Sports writers are all guys who love to talk sports and will do so with anyone.

Fact: They are all assholes who DESPISE bloggers and will do very little to aid you in even the most minor of ways.

In response to the email I sent out I was blasted by over 100 sports writers saying all kinds of negative things about me and my writing. Over 50 of them asked for me to never email them again because they were "too busy" and "didn't have time" to read fan emails. More told me that they were tired of bloggers trying to muscle their way into an industry in which they had no business being in.

Before I continue I want to say that there were a few writers who took the time to respond to my email in a positive way. Jack Curry of the New York Times was especially helpful and gave me some encouragement as did Dan Le Batard. I am thankful to the people who were helpful but they were such a small minority.

What I learned from my mass email was that 95% of sports writers hate bloggers and feel that they are taking away the legitimacy of the industry.

Now I can understand the fact that these writers may be annoyed that the newspaper industry is suffering but does that give them the right to be so openly rude? A simple "stick to it and keep writing" is all the response anyone could ever ask for. It takes more time to write an angry email that is 2-3 paragraphs long than it does to write 1-2 sentences of encouragement.

I now understand that the sports journalism industry is one that consists of an 'Old Guard.' An established circle of men and women who have been around for a long period of time and do not want any new blood coming in and taking away their positions. Men like Woody Paige, Bob Ryan and Bill Plaschke who have been sports journalists for more than 25 years and are the best of the best.

I realise that it may sound naive of me to believe that over 200 people would take the time out of their day to encourage a complete stranger to work hard so that they could one day take their job. I didn't expect that. What I did expect however was at least some semblance of courtesy. All the same the mass email experiment opened my eyes so that I now realise the uphill battle I am facing.

Journalists are threatened by bloggers and feel that they are forcing their way into the industry. These writers fail to see that the area in which they have the advantage is quality. I would for instance rather read a Bob Ryan article on David Ortiz and steroids that comes out a week after the fact than 100 blog posts minutes after the story breaks. The reason is quality. Bob Ryan is a great writer. His work is far superior to 99.9% of anything written on the Internet.

This is an advantage I feel many journalists do not understand and the lack of understanding causes them to feel hostile and threatened. It may explain why so many lashed out at me. Who knows?

What I do know is that no amount of rude emails is going to stop me from reaching my goal. If anything they will only encourage me to continue to that one day I can send a mass email with my published story where the subject line reads: "SUCK IT!"

Random YouTube Video

1 comment:

Bob Ryan said...

Don't use my name in your garbage blog posts punk!